Simon Grix regrets Hull FC's missed opportunities after updates on injured trio released


Simon Grix put Hull FC's narrow defeat at Huddersfield Giants down to a failure to take chances. The Black and Whites lost 24-18 in West Yorkshire on Friday night, suffering their eleventh consecutive defeat in League One.

However, for Grix, the overall performance was a step forward. Hull had some good moments and chances to gain the upper hand. They broke the line several times but unfortunately were unable to capitalize on their chances.

That was ultimately the difference and was best exemplified by a more determined Huddersfield side scoring in the first attacking set after Hull had the early chances to go ahead. The Giants then extended that lead and Hull fought back late to get to within six points – although, like last week, it was a little too late.

Click here – Get the latest news on our Rugby League Live WhatsApp channel

Speaking to Hull Live after the game, Grix said: “That was it – taking chances. In our first set down there we broke the line but then we finished with a weak kick. When we challenged them and broke the line we couldn't clear the pass.

“Of course it's all ifs, buts and maybes, but I'm happy with some aspects. We improved in some areas and raised some questions. They really put in a good performance tonight and for us it wasn't just the end of the game; we tried before that too.

“The difference between the teams was the end of the sets. We let them out and they kicked and pushed us deep into our own half. They won that territorial battle and we didn't get enough shape in our kicks but we certainly played the way we had trained to some extent and we tried to challenge the Huddersfield defence. We asked a lot of questions and broke the line a couple of times. We just couldn't get anything done and things didn't go in our favour.

“Danny Houghton has been battling for weeks. He always does. He's nearly 36. His ribs are going to give up at the moment. Liam Sutcliffe's hamstring injury was then pulled after 20 minutes. He held on until half-time and there were a few headbutts in between as well, so we had a lot of adversity.