close
close

Rome would need a billion to make up for 15 years of poor school maintenance

0

It would cost a billion to make up for 15 years of poor maintenance, from structural to earthquake and fire protection measures, in the 354 government-controlled high schools. Big city me Rome. In the meantime, however, Mayor Roberto Gualtieri has announced that he would also be satisfied with 130 million euros, added to the 170 million already paid, which come from the National Recovery and Resilience Plan (130 million) and the provincial budget (40 million). Should there be a regulatory change to the Pnrr decree, even 100 million would be enough to tighten the belt, given that the institution has saved 35 million euros thanks to the auction cuts in the tenders, which, however, for the time being, must be returned to the sender, that is to say, to the government. “We will ask for an intervention from the legislature to be able to use these funds,” Gualtieri assured this morning during an inspection of two buildings of 11 square meters in which 500 kilometers of asbestos are to be removed.

“When we took office, we conducted a survey of all the schools administered by the metropolis, which is responsible for high schools,” explains the metropolis's delegate for school buildings and Democratic Party city councilor. Daniel Parrucciinterviewed by “Agenzia Nova”. The 2022 survey gave the above calculation: one billion. “At that time we asked the technicians to indicate the most urgent interventions and these corresponded to 300 million,” specifies Parrucci. Thus, 130 million from the Pnrr have been able to finance construction sites in 175 institutes: 35 percent (68 schools) have already been completed, 85 percent (150 schools) will be completed by December, the remaining 15 percent (25 schools) will be closed by 2025, before the expiration date set for June 2026. The 40 million from the metropolis have instead financed interventions in another thirty schools, also to be completed by next year. Of the 175 buildings of the Pnrr, 127 are in municipal territory, the others in the provinces. About 150 schools are, however, left out, “but not all of them need urgent maintenance,” clarifies Parrucci.

Currently, it is estimated that at least another $130 million will be needed to end the emergency, of which $35 million can be recovered from tenders. The Capitol Assembly has already unanimously passed a motion, first signed by the City Council, with the bipartisan support of the chamber. Wigs Mayor Gualtieri undertakes to urge the government to allow local authorities to use the surplus funds instead of returning them to the government through a change in the Pnrr decrees. “If the government has not yet taken a step in this direction,” assures Parrucci, “next week we will present the proposed amendment through our representatives of the Democratic Party in Parliament. Safety in schools concerns all children, there is no political coloring.” For the other hundred million, however, a great unknown remains in the background, Mayor Gualtieri has asked on several occasions for Rome to have access to Pnrr funds not spent or requested by other Italian municipalities. Meanwhile, the Municipality of Rome has also allocated 37.5 million in the Pnrr for the construction of 9 schools in suburban areas. With the metropolitan funds, however, it has started the asbestos removal, which has so far been registered in 111 schools: the interventions will be completed in 2026, to date 30 of the 111 construction sites have been started. A separate chapter, however, are the 1,200 municipal schools, including kindergartens, preschools and elementary schools, where interventions are being carried out with various sources of funding, from the CIS to the Pon Metro funds, with the Public Works Department bears part of the responsibility and the communities another part.

To give a few numbers: in 2026 – at the end of the term of Gualtieri and the Pnrr – unless new funds are allocated, around a hundred high schools will still be left behind. However, the timetable for the municipal structures is not well understood, since there are now 392 million for energy efficiency in 212 schools, based on data from the Ministry of Public Works, but still no plan from the Ministry of Education. The mayor will open the event tonight White Night of schools in 114 Roman institutes. A symbolic initiative that recalls the desire to keep municipal institutions open even in the evenings and on weekends. But for now it is a dream and not a goal, since in Rome, due to the lack of staff and the lack of clear timetables – sometimes or often, depending on the district – it is difficult to keep the schools of the most vulnerable people open even in the morning. Small.

Read other news on Nova News

Click here and get updates on WhatsApp

Follow us on Nova News’ social channels on ÞjórsárdenLinkedIn, Instagram, Telegram